Monday, February 16, 2015

I Was a Total Hermit and Didn’t Even Know It

Advertisement

shutterstock_212060602


Most of my days in high school went a lot like this: I went to school in the morning, faithfully participated in my extracurriculars, and then went straight home to do homework right after. I’d crawl out of my house on Sundays for church and youth group, but then it was right back home to do more homework and get ready for school.


So I wasn’t a hermit in the literal sense of the term but for a while there between classes, homework, and debate, I never thought to do anything with my free time. In fact it wasn’t until my junior year that I realized I didn’t know anyone I didn’t have to work with. Most of the friends I made and the things we did revolved around assignments that had a deadline.


Once I realized that, I started looking for ways to break out of my fixed, and quite frankly, bland routine.


Separate Work Time and Break Time


Part of the reason I didn’t get out much was because I had a very fluid interpretation of time. I didn’t have boundaries on how much time I wanted to spend doing my chores or working on particular assignments. I would often times get distracted while doing something and not finish a task until three hours later.


When I started delineating how much time I would spend on certain things, I knew what was work time and what time was play time. I then was actually able to create free time. Knowing when I was free helped me to schedule in activities. Whereas before I would decline invitations with the assumption that I’d be doing homework, I was able to give definitive answers to my friends as to what times – not just days – worked for me.


Actually Say Yes When Invited Places


I don’t know if any of you are like me, but I tend to over analyze things. Sometimes I would turn down invitations because I simply couldn’t see the point. Don’t do that. In hindsight, some of the craziest and coolest memories I have are from completely pointless deviations from planned activities.


For me it was racing shopping carts in a parking lot or playing ninja in a fountain; you never know what could happen. The first step is to actually say yes to your friends and go outside. You can even be the one to call up your friends. Even if it’s something as unappealing as P90x, it’s so much better with friends.


Take Your Pastime Outside


Back when I had time to read for leisure, I would neglect to talk to my friends or go places because I wanted to sit alone in my bedroom and read, still not a bad way to spend some time in my opinion.



However, for sake of spending less time locked up at home I adjusted that habit my senior year. If you’re looking to spend more time outside of your shell you don’t have to give up Friday nights with a book or Saturday afternoons practicing music. You can take your book to a local coffee shop or play your guitar at the park.


I can’t count how many times I bumped into old friends just sitting at my local tea house. You’re simply more likely to run into someone you know when you’re not locked up indoors.


Volunteer


This is a fantastic way to break out of your shell. I’d challenge you to volunteer outside of a school organization and outside of an office setting. Volunteering in a non-office capacity usually involves working with people.


It’s rather incredible to hear the stories and wisdom that come from people outside for your immediate circle. Many times I have found that I’ve met people who influence my perspective on life as we became good friends.


Do you sometimes find yourself stuck in a rut? If so, what are some ways you shake things up? Tell us in a comment below.






Feed Post from More Than A Test Score http://ift.tt/1AvcO6s

via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment