Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Answers to Common FAFSA Questions about PINs and Household Size

Advertisement

My sister is in college and she applied for financial aid so my dad

already has a pin. Should I create a new pin or use the same one?

— Perla C.


A PIN is used to sign the Free Application for Federal Student Aid

(FAFSA) electronically. Each person signing the form must have their

own PIN. Your father can use his existing PIN, but you must get your

own PIN. You cannot use your sister's PIN. You can get a PIN at

www.pin.ed.gov.


I am filling out my first financial aid form. The form asks for the

number of people in my household. I am 18 and not working, my Dad

provides all my financial support. I understand that I should list

both of us in this section. But what about my Dad's girlfriend and her

son (not my Dad's child) that have lived with us for the past 8 years?

Do I list them as well as household members, as my Dad does contribute

to their support? She works as well. Do I have to list her income?

— Dan G.


You should count your father and yourself (and your siblings, if any)

in household size on the FAFSA. If your father's girlfriend and her

children live with you (and will continue living with you) and your

father provides more than half their support, they get counted in

household size as well.


Since your father's girlfriend has a job, your father will have to

determine whether he provides more than half her support and half her

child's support. This means calculating the total of the support he

provides and the total of the support she provides and comparing the

two figures. Note that support includes the fair rental value of the

lodging.


The income earned by your father's girlfriend is not reported on the

FAFSA, regardless of whether she is counted in household size or

not. Any support she provides to you, however, is reported as untaxed

income to you.


If your father were to marry his girlfriend, then her income would be

reported on the FAFSA.






Source feed Post from fastweb http://ift.tt/1E03tBn

via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment